ARTICLE I: NAME
The society shall be referred to as “The Ghanaian Society of Cardiology”, abbreviated to GSC.
ARTICLE II: OFFICIAL LANGUAGE
The official language of GSC shall be English Language
ARTICLE III: AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
A fundamental goal of the GSC is to drive the acquisition and advancement of knowledge in cardiology, its sub-specialties and the basic sciences relevant to it for the benefit of the people in Ghana and beyond.
To achieve these aims and objectives, the Society shall:
- Promote, educate, encourage and advance the study and practice of the art of Cardiology;
- Provide constructive support to Government and other appropriate authorities for initiation, promotion, running and development of postgraduate courses in Cardiology;
- Promote prevention of cardiovascular diseases and risk factors through awareness programmes;
- Organize educational and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programmes for specialist doctors, paramedics and relevant health professionals to ensure best practice in the field of cardiology;
- Organise national, regional and international scientific conferences and similar platforms for the presentation of clinical and scientific advances to local and international audiences, and maintain a reference library;
- Publish and distribute educational material such as bulletins, journals, books, etc. to enable easy and fast access to up to date information in the cardiology.
- Raise funds to help finance the aforementioned activities of the society in accordance with this constitution; and
- Promote interaction with other like-minded national and international organizations to help attain the afore-mentioned aims and for mutual benefit.
ARTICLE IV: SECRETARIAT OF GSC
The Secretariat of GSC shall be in Accra or at any other place as determined by the General Assembly of the Society. The present registered address of the Society is P.O. Box MP4565, Mamprobi.
ARTICLE V: MEMBERSHIP
Membership of GSC shall be opened to Specialist Physicians and medical scientists involved in the prevention, control, management and research in the areas of cardiovascular diseases and hypertension. The Society shall have the following categories of membership based on the following eligible criteria and/or those enshrined in the bye-laws:
1. Ordinary Member
- Members of the medical profession who are Specialist Physicians and/or Pediatricians whose major work is in the prevention, control, management, and/or research in the area of Cardiovascular diseases as specified in the bye-laws, and who share the aims and objectives of GSC. All ordinary members shall be required to pay annual dues to the GSC.
2. Associate Member
Doctors in other disciplines apart from cardiology whose work is related to and/or have great impact on the practice of cardiology in Ghana; and who share in the aims and objectives of GSC may apply for associate membership. This will include, but not limited to Cardiothoracic surgeons, Neurologists, Nephrologists, Endocrinologists, Diabetologists, Public Healh Physicians and others. Associate members shall be entitled to receive all the publications of the Society and other such benefits as the General Assembly may determine. They can attend general meetings and partake in discussions but shall not be entitled to vote, contest, propose second or hold any executive office.
3. Affiliate Member
Affiliate members shall be other health professionals (apart from doctors) who have interest in cardiovascular diseases, and share in the aims and objectives of GSC. Affiliate members shall be entitled to receive all the publications of the Society and other such benefits as the General Assembly may determine, but shall not be entitled to vote, contest, propose, second or hold any office.
4. Trainee Member
Senior Residents in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics Cardiology programmes shall be eligible for admission into the trainee membership category. The trainee member shall be entitled to receive all the publications of the Society and other such benefits as the General Assembly may determine, but shall not be entitled to vote, contest, propose, second or hold any office. The Trainee member shall pay a reduced membership fee.
5. Corporate Member
Any public or private company or firm, a society registered under any law, a duly constituted trust, a statutory body, any association or special fund organization set-up under an Act of Parliament which donates substantial financial or material aid to GSC in the promotion of cardiovascular medicine may qualify to be elected as a corporate member. The corporate member will be entitled to receive all the publications of the Society, but shall not be entitled to vote, contest, propose, second or hold any office. Corporate members shall not be required to pay any membership fees, but shall be expected to commit to regular financial or material contribution to the cause of GSC.
6. Honorary Member
An honorary membership may be conferred on any individual who makes substantial financial or material contribution toward the promotion of cardiovascular care in Ghana. An honorary member shall not be required to pay dues, nor entitled to hold office or vote at any meeting.
Eminent members of the medical profession, individuals of high scientific attainment or philanthropists from any country may be nominated by the members through the Executive Board and, upon approval of General Assembly, shall serve as patrons of GSC. A patron shall not be entitled to hold office or vote at any meeting.